Six-part series explores the future roles and capabilities all marketing teams will need to develop to thrive
1 November 2022 – Advancements in data and technology, coupled with the disruption of a global pandemic, have radically reorganised the world of marketing communications, creating major shifts in how people consume media, what they expect from brands, and, even, how marketing teams can work together successfully. So, what can marketers do to thrive?
This key question is answered in The Shift Sessions, a new six-part podcast series from PHD.
In each episode, released weekly from 1 November – 6 December 2022, PHD’s Pollyanna Ward, Social Account Director, and marketing experts from PHD and the Omnicom Group, explore how and why the function of marketing is shifting, identify the new roles that will dominate teams in the future, and explain how to start building these capabilities today.
In episode one, ‘Conquering Branded Content’, out now on Spotify, Apple, and Amazon, Ward speaks with Luke Southern, CEO of DRUM, Omnicom’s branded content and entertainment agency, to discuss the importance of branded content, which has become an invaluable part of the marketing landscape.
In this 25-minute episode, Southern tells us why there’s never been a better time to invest in branded content, how to design an effective branded content strategy, and how to maximise returns on investment when working with ‘Branded Content Orchestrators’.
As Southern explains: “As a brand, your competition today isn’t just commercial. You’re competing with culture, entertainment, music, fashion, and sport. The fight for attention is massive, but that’s where branded content can help. Because, when done right, branded content has the power to engage audiences, build connections, and create associations that last.”
Future episodes include:
- 08/11/2022: ‘Mastering Martech Solutions’, which explains how marketers can choose the right martech tools for their teams and maximise returns on investment.
- 15/11/2022: ‘Using your ‘Agency as a Platform’ for Growth’, which offers advice on how to leverage the strength of agency partnerships, even after in-housing.
- 22/11/2022: ‘Rethinking for Web3’, which explains how brands’ relationships with consumers will change in the ‘democratised’ web, and how to prepare for that change.
- 29/11/2022: ‘Cracking new Commerce Channels’, which provides insights and advice on how to build connected commerce strategies across every channel.
- 06/12/2022: ‘(Re)organising for the Future’, which debates how marketers can restructure their departments to enable future growth.
On the series, Chris Stephenson, PHD Worldwide CMO said: “The world of marketing is constantly evolving, creating new opportunities for brands to grow and thrive. But to take advantage, marketers need to evolve too. That’s why we’ve launched The Shift Sessions.
Aligned with our mission of helping our people and clients make the leap, the series identifies the skills and capabilities marketers will need to connect with consumers in the future and explains how to start developing them now.”
The Shift Sessions is now streaming on Spotify, Apple, Amazon, and Audioboom, and can also be found on PHD’s dedicated Sounds page, phdmedia.com/sounds.
Sign up for PHD’s newsletter here to get podcast episodes delivered directly to your inbox.
The Shift Sessions extends themes and ideas first introduced in Shift | A Marketing Rethink, PHD’s ninth book, which explains how marketers can get ahead of change, and stop just responding to it. To learn more, and purchase a copy, head to Shiftbyphd.com.